Navigation Menu

Class Schedule Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ Class Schedule

Q. What is MyVU and how will it help me?

MyVU is a secured-access Web portal that VU has licensed to centralize information about campus activities and provide access to Web-based services. We consider students who have been accepted to VU as part of our family. If you have already applied and been accepted through the Admissions Office, you have a MyVU ID and can log in. More financial aid information is available there in the Student Services tab.


Q. How do I get an advisor and when should I speak to my advisor?

Upon admission to the University and any specific school, the student will be assigned an advisor. Learn more about preparing to meet with your advisor. Speak to your advisor early and as soon as the advising period of a semester begins for the following term, a period beginning after midterm, it is advantageous to schedule a conference with your advisor as soon as possible.  The longer a student waits to register, the more classes are full and unavailable to the late advisee.


Q. What is a full-time academic load?

A full-time academic load is twelve or more credit hours during a semester; an average load will likely range between 15-17 credit hours.


Q. Can I be dropped from a class by an instructor?

Yes.  The University believes it is imperative that students attend ALL courses.  If a student misses the equivalent of two weeks of class during a semester, that student can be removed from the course by the instructor. Learn more about dropping and adding courses.


Q. What if I withdraw from my classes?  Do I receive any money back?

Students who officially withdraw during the first week of regular classes during a Fall or Spring semester will receive a 100 percent credit adjustment of tuition and student activity fees; during the second-75%, the third—50%, and the fourth—25%.  After the fourth week, no credit adjustment will be given. Learn more about withdrawing from classes.


Q. What happens when I get placed on Academic Probation?

While on academic probation, a student must finish with a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher, and if the probation is due to low completion rate, the student must complete 100% of all courses attempted.  If either requirement is not met, the student will have financial aid suspended.


Q. How many credit hours should I take if I am placed in developmental classes?

The University limits the available credit hours for those students placed in developmental courses at 15 hours; however, it is encouraged those student begin their coursework with a reduced load of 12-13 credit hours.


Q. Why don’t my grades transfer from classes I’ve taken elsewhere?

The University normally accepts credit for degree completion from other institutions as long as those institution’s courses meet the criteria for university credit and the student has received at least a C- grade.  However, only credit hours are transferred; grades do not transfer and are not part of a student’s overall GPA.


Q. What is the University Core Curriculum?  

The University Core Curriculum is the foundation that gives students the well-rounded skills for future academic, personal, and civic endeavors.  Particularly critical courses in this group include (but are not limited to) Math and English courses. Students should seek to succeed in these courses early and every semester possible until meeting the degree requirements as successful completion of these courses are typically a prerequisite for all later, higher level courses.


Q. What are Reading, Writing, and Speaking Intensive courses?

These courses fulfill an Intensive requirement for graduation.  A student must fulfill one of each requirement before graduating; however, many courses fulfill more than one, even all three, of the Intensive requirements.  A student should speak to his or her advisor for an overview of Intensive courses. Learn more about Reading, Writing and Speaking Intensive courses.


Q. Can I receive college credit any other way besides transfer credits?

Yes.  Students achieving a minimum score may also earn academic credit from CLEP general examinations or subject examinations, USAFI, ECE, or DANTES courses or tests, service school courses and military science credits can also provide college credit.  CLEP tests are administered by the Assessment Center at the University.  Also, the College Board Advanced Placement Program Grade Report can be sent to the Office of Admissions.  Also, advanced placement examinations are also given the week before classes for Math and English. Learn more about the Assessment Center.


Q. Do I need to petition to graduate?

Yes.  Petitions to graduate should be reviewed and signed by a student’s advisor, filed with the Registrar as early as possible in the final semester, and clear all University obligations.